From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] New proposed modular sync system
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 19:34:52
1 On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 11:15 -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > I think the opposition to this idea primarily falls on reliability.
6 > There have been a number of hacks to portage over the years to keep it
7 > functioning during upgrades of itself, even down to the non-standard
8 > place where its .py files are stored (/usr/lib/portage/pym?) So the
9 > real question is when we move to a plug-in architecture, how do we
10 > add, remove, upgrade the plugins without breaking the actual package
11 > manager?
14 > -A
17 Well, a good point. But, this is the sync module, not some of the
18 critical pkg installation code. Another thing, once a module is loaded,
19 the source file could be removed and/or replaced without adverse effects
20 depending what the code does. That is not always the case though.
21 Portage/emerge does not sync and install ebuilds simultaneously, so that
22 problem is not a concern. Also a lock file could be used to prevent
23 another emerge process form interfering with an ongoing sync run. Just
24 like it does now for merging completed builds.
28 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>