From: Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] going to need a 2.0.53-rc8
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:14:31
1 On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 17:06 -0600, Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 > Short response: reconsider.
4 > ;)
5 >
6 > > Long answer: This is not a regression; you'll find the same problem in stable.
7 > > It's an area where a slight error can break lots of things that are even
8 > > slightly non-standard. This case where the bug is occurring is very
9 > > non-standard and has not cropped up before (or at least hasn't been brought
10 > > to anybody's attention) in the time since I (and you) have been with the
11 > > project. Lastly, 2.3.5.200* is/was hard masked.
12 >
13 > Yah it's a corner case, and yah few people are potential bitten by it
14 > right now- that said, the severity of being bitten by it is why this
15 > needs be released. Think about it, it's a cockup in our lib
16 > handling... an area that needs to run pretty much perfect. A corner
17 > case being spotted, even if upstream did something idiotic isn't
18 > particular acceptable in that chunk of code (imo).
19 >
20 > Regression or not, I'm after having a fix deployed as quickly as
21 > possible. Honestly, this reminds me of the early days of the daemon
22 > where occasionally it would lose the env and install nothing- didn't
23 > matter what the cause was, what mattered was that portage would go and
24 > rape my glibc installation, hosing my box. Potential for hosing the
25 > machine (correctable or not) via portage is a big no no from where
26 > I'm sitting. Bugs of this sort are more then capable of driving away
27 > a potential user/dev who has the misfortune of hitting it (masked or
28 > otherwise).
31 > ~harring
32
33 Would it be that hard to put an exception check for lib versioning (or
34 any package) to check a file of known bad versioning for just such
35 instances and use the also listed regard_as_version so that it is
36 treated properly. It would mean not having to patch portage to catch
37 specific versioning flaws each time they crop up. Just add it to the
38 list.
39
40 eg:
41