From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] building dependency tree
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:36:36
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Saturday 15 May 2004 15:50, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>>Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>On Saturday 15 May 2004 13:12, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>>>You've already done a complete rewrite of the dependency resolver?
9 >>>>
10 >>>>Yes and no. I started from scratch but used almost exactly the same
11 >>>>logic. I guess you could almost call it refactoring. Have a look at:
12 >>>>http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/portage-mod/portageapi/?root=ge
13 >>>>ntoo-src
14 >>>>
15 >>>>Of interest to you, will probably be dep.py. Even if you do not
16 >>>>understand python, the logic should be fairly clear (I hope!). The only
17 >>>>real change from the above logic is that installed packages (including
18 >>>>their original USE flags and *DEPENDs) are also taken into account.
19 >>>
20 >>>I'll have to take a look at it. If anyone wants to take a look at my code
21 >>>(and maybe give me a few suggestions), the (almost) latest working version
22 >>>can be accessed at <http://locutus.homeip.net/dev/portage.pl>. It currently
23 >>>operates the same way 'emerge -ep' would. It doesn't generate the exact
24 >>>same packages to install as Portage, but it is pretty damn close.
25 >
26 > May I ask what you are writing this for? Once the API I'm working on is
27 > completed, tested and integrated (<2 months?) I'll start working on wrappers
28 > for other languages. Is that the sort of thing you are after?
29
30 I'm not quite sure why I'm doing it. Partly, I wanted to see if I could write a
31 program that is faster than Portage. I also like to really understand how things
32 work "under the hood". Writing a Perl program that functions like Portage's has
33 really helped me do this.
36 Andrew Gaffney
37 Network Administrator
38 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.