From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Runtime deps, binary packages and merge order
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:29:21
1 Just ran across the following thread in the forums yesterday:
2 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-626528.html
3
4 Which raises an interesting point regarding merge order of runtime
5 deps. IIRC we currently assume that it's ok to merge runtime deps after
6 the depending package to resolve dep cycles for example, which is
7 generally ok, except if a runtime dep is used in pkg_*. For
8 ebuild-installs that can be worked around easily by using DEPEND (where
9 order is strictly respected), but for binary packages that obviously
10 doesn't work.
11 This problem probably hasn't been recognized earlier as
12 it requires several conditions to apply simultaneously (binary merge,
13 circular rdeps, rdeps used in pkg_*, rdeps not installed
14 previously)
15
16 Assuming I haven't missed anything, I see threee options to deal with
17 that problem:
18 a) ignore it, as it only affects a small minority
19 b) respect merge order for RDEPEND - will cause more unsolvable
20 depgraphs, though telling people to use PDEPEND more often might reduce
21 that problem
22 c) add a new deptype for merge dependencies - looks like overkill to me
23
24 Any other other ideas, comments, preferences?
25
26 Marius
27 --
28 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list