From: Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Few things, which imho would make portage better
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:07:17
1 On Tue, 2006-14-03 at 16:33 +0200, tvali wrote:
2 > I did think about it now and it seems to me that probably it would be
3 > much faster if esearch is not just another package, but part of
4 > portage.
5 >
6 > I mean -- functions of portage, which query db, should use esearch
7 > index wherever they need information, which exists in that index.
8 >
9 > As much as i can understand, /var/cache/edb/ contains esearch database
10 > in many files and esearchdb.py is search index as python script.
13 I have been considering adding the esearch database and code into
14 porthole, or possibly a modified version of it.
15
16 > I think that SQL functions for searching and other things are maybe
17 > not much faster than py (as py seems to be fast enough, at least if
18 > there are more important things to do), but simpler to use. Therefore
19 > i think that rewriting the whole thing with SQL support may be still
20 > better.
21 >
22 > I will make it clear for me, what those emerge db functions do and
23 > still try to do something, what connects them to SQL.
26 If I recall, (there has been lots of discussion about converting portage
27 to use databases, just check the mail archives and forum) portage
28 already has sqlite support, but is not yet used. Sqlite is smaller and
29 has less dependencies than mysql.
32 > Anyway, i am still interested, is there some code or other
33 > documentation about how portage works, especially how it keeps it's
34 > data?
35
36 Also, many of the features you talked about are already implemented in
37 porthole, such as continuing after a failed package, filtering out
38 warnings, important messages, etc..
39
40 Check it out.
43 Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>