From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] /etc/make.conf
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:59:00
1 On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 12:01 -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > In regards to a few bugs reports I want to inquire on the exact format
6 > of make.conf. It seems some utilities ( euse ) are sourcing
7 > /etc/make.conf. This is fine for most configurations when users don't
8 > make a lot of changes to the file. However, in some cases users make
9 > changes that portage will accept but bash will not when sourcing.
10 >
11 > Is make.conf meant to be sourcable by bash and we can mark these bugs as
12 > invalid, or do we need to modify the tools to process it and not source
13 > the file.
14
15 My personal opinion is modify the tools to let portage handle it
16 utilizing portageq or equivalent. Here is a snippet of my code from
17 revdep-rebuild. If that is not possible, then I would state that the
18 file needs to be sourcable by bash.
19
20 # Obey PORTAGE_NICENESS
21 PORTAGE_NICENESS=$(portageq envvar PORTAGE_NICENESS)
22 [ ! -z "$PORTAGE_NICENESS" ] && renice $PORTAGE_NICENESS $$ > /dev/null
23
24 # Update the incremental variables
25 using /etc/profile.env, /etc/ld.so.conf,
26 # portage, and the environment
27 # Read the incremental variables from environment and portage
28 PRELIMINARY_SEARCH_DIRS="$SEARCH_DIRS $(portageq envvar SEARCH_DIRS)"
29 PRELIMINARY_SEARCH_DIRS_MASK="$SEARCH_DIRS_MASK $(portageq envvar
30 SEARCH_DIRS_MASK)"
31 PRELIMINARY_LD_LIBRARY_MASK="$LD_LIBRARY_MASK $(portageq envvar
32 LD_LIBRARY_MASK)"
33
34 Regards,
35 Paul