From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The road ahead...
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:57:14
1 On Monday 17 October 2005 08:25, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > It will likely be that some of the bugs marked against 108262 won't be
4 > > fixed in time. Perhaps it would have been better to just open a metabug
5 > > when the branch is opened and mark bugs against it as they are fixed.
6 >
7 > It's nice to have a list of open bugs against the release where everyone
8 > can see it. I suppose this mailing list can serve that purpose though.
9
10 That's the thing though.. Most of the bugs we should be looking at fixing are
11 15 minute jobs - maybe an hour on the "big" ones. If bugs are marked as
12 blocking as patches are made and committed and then marked as fixed when a
13 release is made, it should still be as easy to follow the progress.
14
15 Looking closer at some of the bugs I've marked as possible targets for .54, a
16 few will likely have to be deferred. That just means more junk mail from
17 apache@×××××××××××.org and broken hopes for those that had activity on their
18 bugs.
19
20 > >>It should be possible to integrate some refactorings+features without too
21 > >>much slowdown of the easy bugfix release pace (call it the EBRP for now).
22 > >>IMO the timing of such merges should be limited to times that everyone
23 > >>(people with commit access) agrees will have a minimal impact on the
24 > >> EBRP.
25 > >
26 > > Stabalizing 2.0.53 took 2 weeks - assuming all the regressions are now
27 > > worked out. Perhaps something like a 6 week cycle would be good? 2 weeks
28 > > for any change, 2 weeks for small changes only, 2 weeks stabalizing...
29 >
30 > I'm not so sure about the "2 weeks for *any* change" part. We need to be
31 > very selective about the larger changes.
32
33 After thinking about it, incremental "feature creep" does seem like the best
34 way to go at this late stage in 2.0's life. The problem is how to guage what
35 is and what is not more trouble than worth. Perhaps adhering to the kernel's
36 rule of "Separate each logical change into its own patch" would help to ease
37 the possible impact of larger changes?
38
39 > > To clarify: Treat backports as regular bugs and go through cycles of open
40 > > the 2.0 branch for fixes for a while followed by stabalizing for a while?
41
42 So where shall we head next? 2.0.53_rc6 is tagged and a tarball is making it's
43 way to the mirrors. I'm pretty confident that this is the last - that is to
44 say, 2.0.53 will essentially just be a renamed tarball - so time's pretty
45 much up for deciding on the above. I know I'm itching to start knocking of
46 some bugs again...
47
48 Speaking of which, if something does crop up with 2.0.53 while the arch guys
49 are deciding if it's stable, how should that be dealt with in subversion?
50 Continue development under branches/2.0 and, should an issue crop up, `svn cp
51 tags/2.0.53_rc6 tags/2.0.53_rc7` and make any required change directly under
52 the tag?
53
54 Another "by the way", `svn -v log > ChangeLog` for 2.0.53_rc6. I'm open to
55 anything better if anybody has a good format for autogeneration. The quality
56 of the commit messages themselves isn't really useful though without knowing
57 their context, so this might be a bit of a catch 22.. For 2.0.54, viewsvn
58 should be available so it might be better to just use the tracker bug to
59 manually create a summary of notable changes.
62 Jason Stubbs
63 --
64 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list