From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] About some settings to auto-replace with dispatch-conf
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 18:07:06
1 On 05/15/2012 04:15 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > I recently installed Gentoo on my uncle's laptop and he was a bit
5 > annoyed about needing to run "dispatch-conf" and merge a lot of changes
6 > on files nobody ever touched.
7 >
8 > Looking to /etc/dispatch-conf.conf I noticed options to improve this
9 > situation exist, but they are disabled by default. I would want to
10 > confirm if they are safe enough or could cause problems. Options are:
11 >
12 > # Automerge files comprising only whitespace and/or comments
13 > # (yes or no)
14 > replace-wscomments=no
15 >
16 > # Automerge files that the user hasn't modified
17 > # (yes or no)
18 > replace-unmodified=no
19 >
20 > Looks really surprising to me that "replace-wscomments" is not enabled
21 > by default as merging that changes shouldn't hurt at all. About
22 > "replace-unmodified", if it works as intended, it should also be safer
23 > to get it enabled by default as would prevent breakage if people forgets
24 > to run dispatch-conf, reboot and, for example, sees some init.d script
25 > fail to start.
26 >
27 > Thanks a lot for the info
28
29 FEATURES=config-protect-if-modified is what you really want. We could
30 probably enable it by default, but we should ask for comment on the
31 gentoo-dev mailing list before doing that.
32 --
33 Thanks,
34 Zac