From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:01:04
1 On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 23:19:38 +0900
2 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So I'm going to make a decision and offer until Friday (Saturday in
5 > my time) for opposers to solidify and state any opposition. If
6 > there's no solid opposition, Saturday I will put current trunk into
7 > ~arch as 2.1_beta20051210. I will also post on the 2.0.53 bug that
8 > fixes are available for the ldconfig bug and the tee bug stating that
9 > we'd like to also add trunk's cache subsystem to 2.0.54 and that
10 > dependening on the next council meeting(?) the SHA1 enabling as well.
11 > Doing it this way will make the ~arch users happy straight away. If
12 > we look at it as our responsibility to get fixes and new
13 > functionality into ~arch then our jobs done and we can get back to
14 > business.
15
16 Well, I've already stated several times that IMO using a 2.1 branch is
17 wrong (use 2.2 instead), but if I'm overvoted, so it shall be.
18 As for the cache rewrite in 2.0.54, I don't really prefer one way or the
19 other, from an engineering POV it is 2.2 material, but if it is a major
20 improvement and well tested it can also be in .54 (just in case my
21 previous mail was misunderstood).
22
23 > As for stable users? If arch teams are willing to selectively choose
24 > what fixes they want backported to stable (when they're not prepared
25 > to move the ~arch version into stable) things will go much smoother.
26 > Of course, it would still be our responsibility to get those things
27 > backported and assert some confidence that it is working. However,
28 > once the requested fixes are backported all that needs to be done is
29 > put out the patched stable version with ~arch keywords and then leave
30 > it up to the arch teams again. Except for the slight extra burden on
31 > (which I believe many would actually find to be a blessing), it
32 > should be a win-win situation.
33
34 Just in case you forgot and also for general reference, when I asked
35 the arch teams about the portage keywording policy a few months ago
36 (wether we should stable even without testing on all archs or to
37 delegate that to arch teams) everyone seemed to be happy with the old
38 policy, at least nobody voted for a change. As portage doesn't really
39 have any arch specific code and a rather short dep list IMO it also
40 doesn't yield any real benefit other than more people testing it (which
41 is of course always a good thing).
42
43 Marius
48 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
49 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.