From: Allen Parker <infowolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Current portage well designed, but badly used
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:58:42
1 On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:18:06 +0100, John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> wrote:
2 > On sön, 2004-11-28 at 05:44 +0000, Ed Grimm wrote:
3 > > There may be others which are more problematic. I haven't seen Gentoo
4 > > using them, but many kernels are distributed with -[a-z][a-z]\d+
5 > > versions, which indicate which alternate maintainer managed the
6 > > additional patches beyond the standard kernel version - which is newer,
7 > > -mm5 or -bk15? The world may never know. (It's only determinate for
8 > > specific kernel versions, and frequently it's an apples and lemonade
9 > > comparison, as they don't address the same issues.)
10 >
11 > Would it be to much overhead if the ebuilds just linked to previous
12 > versions instead? Like the ineed stuff of the init scripts. This way no
13 > no version parsing at all would be needed.
14 >
15 > -John
16
17 the big probem with that, john is that "stale" ebuilds are removed
18 often... also from apache-1.3.27 -> apache-2.0.41 there's a pretty
19 HUGE difference in how the packages are actually
20 compiled/treated/options, etc... for another example, look at the php5
21 vs the php4 ebuilds... see a difference? it doesn't make sense to do
22 what you are thinking because as soon as a new version comes out that
23 obsoletes the old one with new features, etc you end up having to hack
24 ALL of your ebuilds to support the new features and you're in the same
25 place you were before. Another thing you should look at, is
26 eclasses... webapp.eclass especially since it's pretty widely used.
27 eclasses do what i think you'd want to accomplish with the linking to
28 previous versions setup. Oh, and by the way, version parsing isn't
29 something that can be easily avoided. see above on why "world + dog =
30 same version" is a bad idea.
31
32 off list, when i wake up tomorrow, i'll email you a snippet of
33 conversation i had with johnm about eclasses last nite in
34 #gentoo-dev... it might be enlightening.
35
36 my .02 of a monetary unit.
37
38 Allen Parker
39 --
41 To avoid being added to my spam filter:
42 1. Utilize list replies unless otherwise requested.
43 2. If you DO send me a personal email, use english.
44 3. HTML isn't cute. It belongs on the web, not in my inbox.
47 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list