From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Atom matching behavior
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:31:45
1 On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 09:11:35PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 31 July 2006 18:48, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Should be discussed on -dev, not here imo;
4 >
5 > why ? short term we're gaining functionality:
6 > simply add .*
7
8 1) portage isn't the only package manager
9 2) it's not a backwards compatible change
10 3) EAPI was added explicitly to address issues stemming from #2, and
11 it's also an excuse to role out at least
12 3a) default src_install
13 3b) final cleanup of DEPEND=${DEPEND-${RDEPEND}} and friends
14 3c) any cleanup reqiurements needed (fex, disallowing direct vdb
15 access and requiring usage of new metadata functionality).
16 3d) potentially splitting out a src_configure (potentially a pipe
17 dream till eclass2 occurs).
18
19 Granted, that stuff isn't strictly required (although most of it's
20 simple changes), but the fact is that portage will _not_ handle .*
21 properly now means it's an EAPI bump for incompatibility versioning.
22
23 Since it has to be versioned, might as well throw in a few other
24 things that have been held up for similar reasons.
27 > if we want to go long term and cut #*, then we can chat on gentoo-dev
28
29 A) doesn't hurt to ask
30 B) doesn't take any real time to ask
31 C) someone might have a suggestion on better way to do the
32 representation.
33 D) folks are at least aware of what's occuring, rather then having 300
34 devs gradually screw up and find out that .* started working at some
35 point (as was how .* died off iirc).
36
37 Plus, it's a real bitch when something slides in and gets deployed,
38 along comes someone pointing out some corner case they think needs
39 fixing. Doubt that will occur, but the "yo... this is going to be
40 changing" is required imo.
41
42 ~harring