From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: REVDEP-REBUILD and emerge default options
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:39:11
1 Arthur D. posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:23:54 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > I suggested my help in developing the script. I asked him what options
4 > will break things...
5 > No answer. 12 days left.
6
7 FWIW, 12 days isn't so bad. It's often two weeks before you get a first
8 maintainer response on a bug (I'd call that normal, I don't even start to
9 wonder until three have passed, yes, it IS hard to wait sometimes, when
10 it's /your/ bug, but...), and I've had bugs with supplied patches sit for
11 months before they get tested and implemented by the maintainer. Since
12 Gentoo is all volunteers, and "real life" can and does take precedence a
13 lot of the time, this is simply a fact of life. If someone doesn't like
14 it, they can of course work to become a Gentoo dev and volunteer their
15 own time to get things done faster, or perhaps if they have money, they
16 can sponsor someone to work on it full time, or they can learn to live
17 with it... or they can get tired of it and switch to one of the
18 commercial distributions.
19
20 So I'm not going to get involved in the merits of the specific argument
21 here, but thought I'd reply just to let you know to have a bit of
22 patience. 12 days does NOT mean the maintainer is ignoring you, or that
23 he won't actually agree with you when he does get to it. Often, it just
24 means he has "real life" (TM) to attend to, and perhaps a few more urgent
25 bugs or bugs he was already in the middle of, and hasn't had time to give
26 your mail the proper consideration it is due. =:^)
27
28 Actually, that he didn't answer right away might be an encouraging sign.
29 He didn't reject the idea out of hand, and maybe he IS seriously
30 considering it. I know I'd far rather have a reply delayed a couple weeks
31 (or 3 or 4 or 6) and have some thoughtful consideration given to it, than
32 have the thing rejected out of hand! =:^)
33
34 That said, the bug was the way to go, as mail can get lost or eaten by
35 the spam filter or whatever. Gentoo uses the bug tracker for all sorts
36 of stuff one wouldn't ordinarily think of as bugs, including tracking the
37 progress of new devs and dev retirement when it's needed (on a private
38 bug in some cases, of course). Put it in a bug and it's in the system
39 and will get proper consideration given it. And if having filed it, you
40 were told to bring it up here, that's good too. =:^)
41
42 All I'm really saying is don't get too worried about a response time of a
43 couple weeks or more. That's simply a fact of life one deals with.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman