From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage docbook documentation -> why not asciidoc ?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 00:05:56
1 On Monday, November 29, 2010 18:59:04 Daniel Barkalow wrote:
2 > On Sat, 27 Nov 2010, Zac Medico wrote:
3 > > On 11/27/2010 01:25 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
4 > > > In case DocBook is keeping contributions down than cutting away certain
5 > > > flexibility to increase contributions could be a good trade-off, too.
6 > >
7 > > I'm not sure that docbook represents a significant barrier in this
8 > > respect. It's hard to speculate. Maybe if we had a survey sampling the
9 > > opinions of a broad spectrum of open-source developers, then we'd have
10 > > more to go on.
11 >
12 > My impression from git development is that, with asciidoc, we got a lot of
13 > documentation patches from users who read the documentation, found that it
14 > was inaccurate or unclear, and were able to propose corrections based on
15 > their observation of the actual behavior. I believe we also got
16 > documentation of previously undocumented functionality, written by people
17 > who had found out how to use it from some other source after failing to
18 > find it mentioned in the documentation. I suspect that docbook is too high
19 > a barrier for some people when asciidoc wouldn't be; the question is
20 > really whether any of these people are the audience for portage
21 > documentation.
22
23 all of the user-facing documentation is in the man pages. all of the docbook
24 pages are generally more internal stuff. so any of the corrections you
25 discuss i think would be files under man/ and not doc/.
26 -mike