From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] add UUID for comparison of installed package to binary package?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:38:45
1 On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:54:21PM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm thinking about adding a UUID file in /var/db/pkg, for comparing
5 > installed packages to binary packages. We already have BINPKGMD5,
6 > but the problem with that is that the MD5 of a binary package
7 > changes when it's updated for package moves. A UUID would be
8 > assigned at build time and remain constant thereafter. We can use
9 > python's uuid.uuid4() function to generate a random UUID. Any
10 > suggestions for alternative approaches?
11
12 Purpose?
13 ~harring