From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] 2.1-rc3-r5 extraneous but (I think) harmless message?
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:27:24
1 I've been noticing this for a couple revisions I think, but am not sure if
2 it's new behavior or if I'm just noticing what's been there all along.
3
4 At the end of a new package merge, after the binpkg tarball (I'm using
5 FEATURES=binpkg) has been created, then decompressed and merged, but
6 before the emerge --clean phase unmerges old versions, I'm seeing what
7 appears to be an incorrect but harmless message. Here's what I get for
8 gcc, so you can see the sequence (the three lines, safely unmerging thru
9 original instance unmerged, is what I'm talking about):
10
11 >>> /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.1/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.1.1 -> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
12 >>> Safely unmerging already-installed instance...
13 No package files given... Grabbing a set.
14 >>> Original instance of package unmerged safely.
15 * The current gcc config appears valid, so it will not be
16 * automatically switched for you. If you would like to
17 * switch to the newly installed gcc version, do the
18 * following:
19
20 * eselect compiler set <profile>
23 * If you have issues with packages unable to locate libstdc++.la,
24 * then try running 'fix_libtool_files.sh' on the old gcc versions.
25
26 >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
27 >>> sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1 merged.
28
29 >>> No packages selected for removal by clean.
30
31 >>> Auto-cleaning packages...
32
33 /What/ already-installed instance? It's a /new/ version of the package,
34 so there was no already installed instance to unmerge. Again, this is
35 before the clean phase, which occurs just after that, and which removes
36 the old version as expected, so it's not that.
37
38 I know the message itself isn't new, and I'm used to seeing it when I'm
39 remerging a package over itself, where the message makes sense. Why is it
40 showing up here, when it's a new package version, so there's no original
41 instance to unmerge? Is this new behavior or has it always done that and I
42 never noticed it until now?
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
50 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list