From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage tree modules
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:01:38
1 Sandy McArthur <sandymac@g.o> writes:
2
3 > I'd like to see the portage tree mechanism be more modular such that it's easy
4 > to "subscribe" to more than one portage tree source.
5
6 Perhaps a better way to support this would be to allow specification of
7 multiple overlay directories.
8
9 > For example I've been hacking around with zeroconf and currently I tell people
10 > to fetch packages from the Gentoo bugzilla and dump them in their portage
11 > overlay tree.
12
13 > I'd rather be able to tell them to run:
14
15 > # echo rsync://example.com/zeroconf-stuff > /usr/portage/zeroconf-stuff.source
16 > # emerge sync
17
18 > and then portage would notice the new source file and sync to
19 > /usr/portage/zeroconf-stuff/ .
20
21 > It would be nice if gentoo supported sync mechanisms other than cvs/rsync. Being
22 > able to download a tar.bz2 via http/ftp and unpack it in the right place would
23 > be nice for those people who want to maintain their own portage tree but don't
24 > have the means to set up a rsync server but can put a tarball online somewhere.
25
26 With improved configuration file format, you could perhaps do something
27 like:
28
29 OVERLAY = { "/usr/overlay/whatever", "/usr/overlay/zeroconf" };
30
31 And then just rsync /usr/overlay/zeroconf, extract a tarball, or
32 whatever. You could use a script/cron job to automate it. It doesn't
33 seem that integrating functionality into portage to update overlays in
34 various ways would be particularly useful.
37 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
40 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list