From: Alec Joseph Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] cfgpro and emerge -C
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:55:48
1 Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
3 >
4 >> They stay because of CONFIG_PROTECT, the make.conf manpage has details
5 >> on how to use it. Basically people want to merge config file changes
6 >> manually so they protect certain directories from portage's hands.
7 >> see also emerge --help config.
10 > I know CONFIG_PROTECT, but why isn't it ignored when removing a package
11 > (not in case of upgrading of course)?
12 >
13 Because portage errs on the side of you wanting your old config files.
14 There are various scripts in bugzilla for cleaning out unowned files in
15 /etc. People have argued for portage removing initscripts and various
16 deals with md5 hashing each file and removing it if the hashes match,
17 but I don't believe anything like that has made it in.
21 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list