From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: bernalex@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Indentation level
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 12:23:26
1 On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 12:04:11 +0100
2 Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > To avoid bikeshedding I just propose to set it to 4. Any objections?
5
6 Well, it might happen anyway; I prefer 4 myself, but I foresee that
7 someone that uses less might speak up, those that use more are less
8 common afaik. So, we might as well jump straight to the hard arguments;
9 if difference then does come up, it gives us reading material to vote.
10
11 From what I recall, the most common argument to set something like 2 is
12 to get more indentations on the screen; however, consider that the more
13 indentations are brought on the screen, the deeper in the code you can
14 get. Surely if you get around something like ~10 indentations you are
15 likely in need of extracting a function to keep the code clean.
16
17 People can still override the "presentation" of their editor to behave
18 different if they need to differ from the default; note that this is
19 presentation, while the editor could respect to save it in the format
20 we've expected this at. Though, changing presentation like this could
21 again make differences in alignment; and thus, if someone does change
22 the presentation I expect them to check the normal tab stop before
23 doing or changing alignments.
26 With kind regards,
27
28 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
29 Gentoo Developer
30
31 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
32 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
33 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D