From: Sebastian Luther <SebastianLuther@×××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] New proposed modular sync system
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:40:42
1 Am 31.01.2014 08:27, schrieb Brian Dolbec:
2 >
3 >>> 18. Modify emerge-webrsync cli to use the new webrsync module
4 >>
5 >> I'd just remove emerge-webrsync and ask the user to use emerge --sync
6 >> instead.
9 > Some people are not able to use a normal rsync tree due to firewall
10 > issues and bandwith restrictions.
14 I didn't mean to remove the functionality provided by emerge-webrsync.
15 Since in point 17 you want to move the functionality into a module, the
16 user should be able to set sync-type=web-rsync in repos.conf and have
17 emerge --sync sync it.
18
19 >>> Next up for discussion is what additional functionality should a
20 >>> module supply?
21 >>>
22 >>> I think it should provide a list or dictionary of the repos.conf
23 >>> variables it needs or uses. I also think that the module should
24 >>> provide a function for validating the conf variables meet some
25 >>> minimum standard/obvious error checking.
26 >>
27 >> Why should it provide that list at all, if it has a function to
28 >> validate its input? The calling code should just check sync-type,
29 >> select the appropriate module and pass everything to it.
33 > I am thinking more about an emaint module for checking repos.conf
34 > entries and help generation. The sync module would provide the
35 > validation function and the info the emaint module would use to list
36 > variable requirements. Yes, the plugin module should provide it's own
37 > man page, but maybe it doesn't or the user just wants a quick list of
38 > the variable requirements.
41 > emaint --list --variables syncs
42 >
43 > rsync:
44 > ...
45 >
46 > git:
47 > ...
48 > gpg-sig-uri
49 >
50 > squashfs:
51 > sync-uri
52 > gpg-sig-uri optional, blah blah,...
53 > ...
57 I guess I'm just not familiar enough with your approach to see all the
58 things you want to do with it.