From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Dynamic USE dependencies
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 13:08:23
1 On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:02 AM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > My suggestion is something in between - less invasive
3 > (and, in particular, less time consuming)
4 > than your suggestion to recalculate the USE-settings
5 > with every emerge, but more automatic than the current state.
6
7 Keep in mind that keeping track of past decisions made by portage does
8 not require user-editable config files in /etc. It just requires a
9 cache of some kind, much as we do with installed packages/etc.
10
11 That said, portage still has to spend time basically re-validating the
12 consistency of the entire system because we allow the use of overlays
13 and other situations that don't guarantee that portage will have some
14 kind of consistent pre-calculated depgraph handed to it. If we
15 required all repositories to have some kind of pre-generated cache in
16 them and ensured that this was always up-to-date and better controlled
17 the kinds of dependency changes we made, then maybe there might be an
18 opportunity to offload some of the work to the repository level
19 instead of doing it on every Gentoo system. Still, unless we banned
20 overlays I'm not sure how much even this would buy you, since you'd
21 have many of these that need to be merged somehow.
22
23 From Zac's email and other discussions in the past it seems like we're
24 basically committed to doing all these calculations all the time
25 anyway, so we shouldn't be too shy about taking advantage of them.
28 Rich