From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@××××××××××××××××××××××××.es>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Recommendation about faster (not smaller) filesystem and blocksize combination for portage tree
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:30:22
1 Hello
2
3 I am trying to know what filesystem+blocksize combination could be
4 better for the kind of files stored in portage tree.
5
6 In the past, I have been using reiserfs for my / partition and I
7 had /usr/portage under it. Later, I moved /usr/portage to a different
8 partition (distfiles go to a different directory) and switched it to
9 ext2 (as, in theory, ext2 should be faster as has no journaling) and
10 2048 as blocksize (that, of course, shrinks portage tree sizes but I am
11 unsure about its effects from a performance point of view)
12
13 Of course, I am not asking you for benchmarks or something else, I am
14 simply asking for your opinions about what would be better combination
15 from a performance point of view of filesystem+blocksize (or, at least,
16 what blocksize would be better for speed, I can test filesystems later
17 based on it)
18
19 Thanks a lot for your recommendations :-)