From: Brian Dolbec <dol-sen@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] bug 56407 Sudo path mangling.
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 04:51:12
2 >Hash: SHA1
3 >
4 >This bug covers the use of "sudo" and "emerge". Because sudo'ing
5 >doesn't change the PATH variable portage will often fail after it can't
6 >find binaries because /sbin, /usr/sbin are not in it's PATH.
7 >
8 >Do we make the user manage their own path, or make portage force sbin
9 >into the environment when it is doing it's thing?
10 >
11 >- -Alec Warner (antarus)
12 >
13 I am very interested in this. We have just added sudo functionality to porthole
14 for most of the root needed functionality. So far nobody has reported any
15 problems with the path as you describe. If it is something that we need to do
16 before doing any "sudo emerge" calls, then we need to do it before we release
17 porthole-0.5.0, which is very soon.
18
19 Once gnome-python-extras-2.12.0 comes out we will be able to use libgksu for su
20 functionality which will enable porthole to run as a user much better, but in
21 the meantime sudo is our only other option.
22
23 Brian
26 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list