From: Wendall Cada <wendallc@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: GentooPortage <gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] webapp-config and webapps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:02:50
1 Hello,
2
3 I've been using Gentoo on a couple production servers since January of
4 this year. I have been very happy with Gentoo on the server and it has
5 been very easy to administer and update until the introduction of
6 webapp-config and its related tools, file structures, etc.
7
8 I understand that the Gentoo web-apps are trying to conform more with
9 Linux standards. For instance, the move from /home to /var for the web
10 root. Many configuration file moves, etc, etc. Many of these have been
11 documented and discussed before hand. Recently however, I don't feel
12 this has been the case and tools like webapp-config have broken the use
13 of portage as a package maintainer and reduced it to a download utility.
14
15 Here is an example of why:
16
17 In the past if you wanted a web application, you could look through the
18 portage database of apps and do an:
19
20 emerge mywebapp
21 mywebapp is now installed and ready for use in
22 /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mywebapp
23 read configuration docs
24 configure apache
25 then use mywebapp
26
27 Now there is a similar install process.
28 emerge mywebapp
29 mywebapp is installed in
30 /usr/share/webapps/mywebapp/mywebappversion/htdocs/
31 webapp-config -I -d /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mywebapp
32 read configuration docs
33 use webapp-config to configure apache
34 then use mywebapp
35
36 Now the theory behind web-app config is good in that the author/authors
37 wanted to give the ability to let me use it on multiple sites from a
38 single install, manage virtual sites, etc. Forcing me to use something
39 to do installations outside of portage is a bad idea. Creating a
40 millions symlinks and/or hardlinks throughout my filesystem is a
41 horrible thing.
42
43 First, what if I want the ability to use portage to update and manage my
44 web-app, just like the other packages on my system? I can't unless I
45 write my own ebuilds to use portage for installing web-apps. If I have
46 a need for web-app config, let me make that choice. Please don't make
47 the choice for me. How long before someone comes along and decides my
48 Gnome desktop needs to be managed and installed with its own installer.
49 You guys may think that is ridiculous, but if someone would have told me
50 that portage would only be used for downloading web-apps last year, I
51 would have thought they were crazy. I don't or won't use the thing,
52 because it is not useful to me. Not for my desktop or on my server. I
53 have management tools I choose to use that suit my needs much better.
54 Also, many of the web-apps I use have virtual site capabilities built
55 in, and I prefer using the built-in tools they provide.
56
57 Many will argue that portage still does the updating, I disagree. If I
58 update mywebapp from version 1.1 to 1.2, the original install is deleted
59 from /usr/share/webapps/mywebapp/1.1/ and a new directory is created
60 /usr/share/webapps/mywebapp/1.2/ This isn't really updating the app.
61 Just deletes the old one and puts the new one in a different directory.
62 No different than if I just download the tarball and untar it myself.
63 Using the old portage method, I would have protected config files and
64 directories and the new files would be installed in the same directory
65 as the old one. I run the upgrade script for that particular app if
66 necessary and I'm up and running. The old method would be great in
67 conjunct use with webapp-config, but what if I don't want to use
68 webapp-config? It is rendered worthless to me without alot of advanced
69 scripting that is really unnecessary had webapp-config been left as an
70 optional tool.
71
72 If web-app config was a tool for me to use at my discretion, great. But
73 a tool that replaces the functionality of portage? That sucks no matter
74 how I look at it.
75
76 I have, as do other Gentoo web-app developers that I'll leave unnamed
77 many ideas about how this could be done better. My input is pointless if
78 webapp-config is the way things are going to be done. It really negates
79 the usefulness of many other tools. Was a roadmap created? Was anybody
80 who uses this stuff asked? Was it mentioned that portage would just
81 manage the downloading from here on out? Why weren't these features if
82 necessary made a part of portage?
83
84 Portage is a great tool for managing applications. I'd like to use it
85 for my entire Gentoo system.
86
87 Wendall
88 --
89 "Only the ideas that we really live have any value." --Hermann Hesse
90 (Demian)
94 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list