From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] RFC: Binary dependency tracking
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:22:53
1 On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 03:38:24PM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
2 > Well, I've glossed over the dlopen() issues for now as I'm not sure the
3 > best way to handle that or even if it needs to be addressed. How often
4 > does something dlopen() a file if it doesn't know the exact filename at
5 > compile time?
6 > It seems unlikely to me that this kind of dependency
7 > would be introduced which wouldn't be uniquely satisfied by the RDEPEND.
8 > Does anyone know of a case where we'd do something like:
9 >
10 > #define LIBPNG_SONAME libpng.so.3 /* set by configure */
11 > dlopen(LIBPNG_SONAME)
12 kdelibs apps abuse it afaik.
13 rekall, fex, loads all drivers dependant on config files, all at
14 runtime via abstracted dlopen trickery....
17 > In any event, here's a patch to portage which creates the
18 > soname.{PROVIDE,DEPEND} files as well as a small script to create them
19 > where missing.
20 >
21 > Please comment.
22 Not liking it in bash personally, but that's me (already implemented
23 code akin to this in dblink.treewalk).
24
25 What about the resolver mods?
26 ~brian
27 --