From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] USE_EXPAND in profiles?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 04:07:54
1 On 03/30/2016 07:22 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2016-03-31 at 02:26 +1300, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >> On 31 March 2016 at 01:49, Joakim Tjernlund
4 >> <Joakim.Tjernlund@××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>
7 >>> I am missing something?
8 >>> Generally I think that everything possible to do under /etc/portage should be
9 >>> doable under a profile as well.
10 >>
11 >> So after you ignore my other stuff: Profiles are part of the PMS
12 >> specification, so any changes that go in there have to be EAPI
13 >> scheduled and cried over for a bit, and probably GLEPs and stuff also.
14 >>
15 >> I guess portage could informally support it prior to any such
16 >> specification materialising, but it would have to be forbidden in the
17 >> main tree until such a specification was defined, or the portage tree
18 >> would become PMS in-compatible.
19 >
20 > Yes, exactly! There is no need to use non PMS compatible features in
21 > the gentoo tree.
22
23 We hide extensions like this behind profile-formats settings in
24 metadata/layout.conf. Please file a feature request bug for this at
25 bugs.gentoo.org.
26 --
27 Thanks,
28 Zac