From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Environment Whitelisting
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:43:31
1 On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 06:36:03PM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > I'm kinda with genone on implementing both ( since they are similar ).
3 > If it's decided that blacklisting is easier to maintain, I can always
4 > make up my own whitelist for pkg-foo and apply it and if it works submit
5 > it as a bug ( or even some other whitelist database? ) and thus can
6 > gaurentee that my package was built 'correctly'(TM). I think this would
7 > be important in fex, an enterprise distribution type deal where the
8 > build env is important to some. Put the whitelists in the tree and have
9 > them --excluded by default, so only the users that use them have to
10 > downlaod them.
11 Sticking Yet Another File In Profiles (hence forth known as yafip
12 since it comes up a lot :) is a quick fix, but forces anyone trying to
13 do remote repo's to add hacks to expose that information; effectively
14 requiring two querying modes for the repo, which doesn't seem clean.
15
16 If it goes anyways, profile would get my vote- base profile exists for
17 spreading settings like this throughout all profiles also; profile and
18 repo are seperated entities, as such the repo implementation doesn't
19 get muddied up, just requires extra keys pulled for profile
20 implementation, which is what it's designed for anyways.
21 ~harring