From: Fabian Zeindl <fabian@×××××××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Extended package.mask
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:46:02
1 Hi
2
3 I'm using gentoo and the best package manager of the world for over one year
4 now, and I'm quite satisfied :-).
5 One idea I had: I regularly stumble across ebuilds which are masked in
6 package.mask because they break certain other packages or something like that.
7 It would be genial if portage wouldn't just say
8 "this ebuild is masked cause it breaks XYZ", but detect whether I have XYZ
9 installed and warns me if so resp. emerges normally otherwise. If I install
10 package XYZ some time later portage must of course detect this and say "you
11 have package ABC installed, which makes problem with the package you wan't to
12 install now, what do you want to do?".
13
14 Is this an insane idea? It would make portage even better if it could resolve
15 situations/environments/configurations where emerging/unmerging something will
16 cause problems.
17
18 greetings
19 fabian zeindl
20
21 PS: The second question I want to ask: Why are some packages so long marked ~
22 unstable when their upstream is stable. Is there a policy how long to mark new
23 ebuilds or something like that?
26 ... I want something good to die for
27 To make it beautiful to live.
28 I want a new mistake, lose is more than hesitate.
29 Do you believe it in your head?
30
31 - Queens of the Stone Age - "Go with the Flow"
32
33 I prefer signed/encrypted Mail (even if I can't write it myself at
34 the moment due to OpenWebMail deficiencies):
35 Fingerprint: CFE8 38A7 0BC4 3CB0 E454 FA8D 04F9 B3B6 E02D 25BA
38 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list