From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Bugzilla Bug 112779: New and Improved Way to Handle /etc/portage
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:31:43
1 On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:01:38 -0600
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 07:36:05PM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
5 > > Okay, I wrote a small patch that handles everything supported by
6 > > /etc/portage except bashrc (package.mask, package.unmask,
7 > > package.keywords, package.use, mirrors, categories). I tested it
8 > > by moving /etc/portage/package* into /etc/portage/includes/test/
9 > > and it seems to have behaved expectedly. Feedback is welcome and
10 > > appreciated. ;)
11 >
12 > Feedback? Well, I don't like it mainly. :)
13 >
14 > This makes portage go looking in two different locations for
15 > overrides; I know from looking through the code,
16 > /etc/portage/package.* overrides the includes, but users won't.
17
18 Well, the original proposal would "fix" that. Actually it might be
19 worth to implement this (optionally) in the grab* functions directly.
20
21 > Configuration in two seperate locations of the same thing is usually
22 > a bad idea (exempting global configuration, user configuration, which
23 > this is not). It's not intuitive, mainly.
24
25 I disagree. It's mainly a matter of personal preference. If we stick
26 with the two locations could also make them mutually exclusive.
27
28 > I'd argue for extending the existing files syntax rather then this
29 > tbh, tag in a source command makes a bit more sense to me.
30
31 I strongly object against this. Having a "source" command for the shlex
32 parsed files is one thing, having it for plain data files is simply
33 wrong. I'm definitely against adding a "language" into these files.
34 Also it kinda prevents us to support PQAs (partially qualified
35 atoms) some day as there might be a app-foo/source package.
36
37 > Plus side, with a source command, you just comment it out and you've
38 > disabled that import. With your solution, have to remove the file
39 > from the directory.
40
41 See above about "personal preference".
42 Also what's easier:
43
44 - $EDITOR /etc/portage/package.foo
45 - # find line that includes the file you don't want anymore
46 - # comment that line
47 - # save file and exit editor
48
49 - cd /etc/portage/package.foo
50 - mv somefile .somefile
51
52 (the second one I'm referring to my idea, not Zacks patch which I
53 haven't really checked)
54
55 Marius
60 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
61 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.