From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 19:48:42
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Jon Portnoy [mailto:avenj@g.o]
3 Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 4:41 AM
4 To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated
6 Portage project page
9 On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 12:35:11PM -0700, Daniel Robbins wrote:
10
11 > For backwards compatibility with existing ebuilds, yes we will
12 > probably still need the metadata cache since we'll still have some
13 > kind of bash linkage. It's important to point out that the design of
14 > portage-ng will not be tied to ebuilds. Ebuilds will likely become
15 > "legacy" build scripts that are superceded by something a lot better,
16 > cleaner, powerful and also faster for portage-ng.
19 Please keep in mind that a significant number of users have expressed a
20 fondness for ebuilds precisely because they can apply simple bash
21 scripting knowledge to create a complex build script. Any new format
22 should probably aim for similar syntax for precisely that reason.
23
24 (But this is getting way ahead of things.)
25
26 ---- Jason Stubbs is writing:
27
28 It's not getting ahead of things! That's a requirement that's not
29 covered yet. "Package definition should be powerful but simple with a
30 small learning curve" or something to that effect.
31
32 Regards,
33 Jason Stubbs
37 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list