From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Naming Conventions
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:14:58
1 On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 04:43 +0900, Chris White wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hi all you goons and minions,
6 >
7 > While this may seem relatively simple, it's one of those "Don't judge
8 > a book by the cover". While documenting, it was brough up the idea of
9 > naming conventions so as not to have:
10 >
11 > function_name()
12 > functionName()
13 > FunctionName()
14 >
15 > and wondering what was going on while reading the documentation. The
16 > actual recommendation to naming convetions was:
17 >
18 > variable = foo_bar
19 > function = foo_bar()
20 > class = FooBar
21 > class method = fooBar()
22 >
23 > However, here's where the fun part comes in. Renaming stuff may seem
24 > relatively simple (sed is your friend here), but the main fun is people
25 > that are using the existing portage calls in their scripts, or in
26 > official portage tools. The scripts here will simply break, and there
27 > will be lots of frowning/"I'm going to kill you, start running" types.
28 > This said, the following are recommendations:
29 >
30 > 1) Create aliases to the new functions, then at some
31 > yet-to-be-determined point, kill the aliases and bomb on the scripts
32 > (this suffers from procrastination).
33 >
34 > 2) Make an official release with the new function names and no aliases,
35 > as well as the soon to come docs. I sort of like this method because
36 > those with official portage tools can adjust their scripts, and simply
37 > alter the depend atoms for >= (new API versions) and <= (old versions),
38 > effectively forcing/preventing upgrades.
39 >
40 > So please, throw your .02 $currencies in on this.
41
42 Since I'm one of those that would be affected, my preference would be #2
43 with the addition that the initial release by package masked for X
44 amount of time to give time to work with it and update the utilities at
45 the same time.
46
47 If I procrastinate, then it is on me once it is unmasked to handle the
48 bugs for the packages I'm responsible for.
49
50 Additionally, I would like to see lot's of announcements on gentoo-dev.
51
52 Regards,
53 Paul
56 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list