From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: wking@×××××××.us
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Signing off patches
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 15:41:25
1 On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:32:35 -0800
2 "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us> wrote:
3
4 > If the initial submission does not express the consensus, you can
5 > either ask for a resubmission that does, or say “Alice, is it ok if I
6 > change your commit message to read ‘…’? when I commit it?”.
7
8 This assumes the committer would ask that, which barely happens.
9
10 Also, history rewriting is not acceptable as far as I know...
11
12 > No policy/suggestion/goal is going to be followed 100% of the time.
13
14 This way, it seems preferable to use the mailing list when blaming.
15
16 > If most commits, especially those that were contentious enough to go
17 > through a few rounds of revision, have a commit message with a good
18 > summary, then the future developer using blame has good odds of
19 > finding something useful. I think that's a good goal to shoot for,
20 > even if you don't hit it all the time.
21
22 The only realistic way to obtain this is to make it policy, or at
23 least make it checked as part of the review process; now neither
24 appears present, hence using blame has good odds of something useless.
25
26 > Even if you only consider the present, improving your commit message
27 > to address tricky implementation details or unclear motivation before
28 > submitting the next revision on a patch series will help reviewers
29 > understand your patch better in the first place.
30
31 +1
34 With kind regards,
35
36 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
37 Gentoo Developer
38
39 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
40 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
41 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D