From: Christian Hoenig <list@××××××.cc>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] emaint and handling of user editable files
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 20:59:06
1 Hi,
2
3 Since a long time I wanted to start a project like emaint ... now there it
4 is :-).
5
6 Currently we have two kinds of config files for portage:
7 o user editable (like /etc/portage/package.*)
8 o not user editable (like /var/lib/portage/world, as it is rewritten all of
9 the time and no comments are allowed so far)
10
11 Some time ago I have written a python script [1] to check
12 o for packages that are installed but not stable (ie they are not contained in
13 package.keywords but they are ~ARCH).
14 o package.{keywords,unmask} for entries which are redundant (ie because we
15 have =x/y-1.0 in it, but x/y-2.0 is installed).
16
17 Now I have startet to integrate these two things into emaint and here come my
18 problems regarding these files. When using --fix I cannot simply remove the
19 corresponding entries from package.{keywords,unmask} as there may be comments
20 placed for those entries. In my case this is the date I added the packages to
21 package.* like:
22 # 2005.03.06 - 21:53:25
23 ~app-text/pdfjam-1.20 ~amd64
24
25 # 2005.03.06 - 22:01:18
26 ~net-wireless/bluez-bluefw-1.0 ~amd64
27
28 On the other hand it would be very nice to allow comments in the world file,
29 too, as I very often don't remember why I installed a package (a lib which
30 for example was just a dependency for lokaly installed stuff).
31 As I'm writing this I get the idea, that this probalby should not be part of
32 the world file but of portage itself with a --comment TEXT parameter :-).
33
34 So, finally, how should emaint --fix deal with comments in files?
35 (a) Only give a recommendation what / how to fix?
36 (b) Fix if there are no comments contained, otherwise only do (a)?
37
38 Thanks for your input!
39
40 take care, have fun