From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Stablizing portage 2.1
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 20:42:17
1 Alec Warner schrieb:
2 > Why Branch at 2.1_pre9?
3 > Manifest2 is already in the tree and needs refinement. Branching at
4 > pre7 is also a canidate, but i would rather press for keeping manifest2
5 > in the tree and fixing up it's code instead.
6
7 Why not pre10?
8
9 > TimeLine: If all goes well, we can do an rc sometime this week:
10 > May 3rd : RC1
11 > May 6th : RC2
12 > May 9th : RC3
13 > May 12th : RC4
14 > May 15th : RC5
15 > May 18th : RC6
16 > May 21st : RC7
17 > May 24th : RC8
18 > May 27th : RC9 ( if needed )
19 > May 30th : RC10 ( if needed )
20 > June 5th : ~arch sys-apps/portage-2.1
21 > July 6th : sys-apps/portage-2.1
22
23 What's the point of planning a dozen rc versions ahead of time? Make a
24 rc1, see how it goes and release another rc version only if necessary
25 (for bugfixes). Also I absolutely *hate* date based roadmaps, just make
26 it "stable 2.1 when no new rc has been made for n weeks".
27
28 > Problems: We may miss the timeline and thats ok. Releng wants a
29 > working portage, not a bugging POS portage-2.1 that wasn't ready for
30 > release. This timeline is relatively tight and I think it's a nice goal
31 > to set, it's not imperative that we reach it.
32 >
33 > Comments, Questions, opinions?
34
35 Date based roadmaps suck. They add a lot of pressure for no benefit
36 (other than a rough target date, and for that you don't need a roadmap).
37
38 Marius
39 --
40 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list