From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Cache rewrite backport
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:18:58
1 On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 10:17:26AM +0200, Nagatoro wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > >Curious about feedback from general usage, emerge -s, emerge -Dup
4 > >world, etc. timing runs would be appreciated
5
6 > portage 2.0.53_rc5 - 3.0-cache-backport-experimental-7
7 >
8 > emerge -s portage:
9 >
10 > real 0m10.855s
11 > user 0m2.610s
12 > sys 0m0.537s
13 >
14 > emerge -Dup:
15 >
16 > real 0m40.443s
17 > user 0m18.300s
18 > sys 0m3.465s
19
20 Don't spose you could attempt the tests above with the cache patches,
21 plus the patch I've attached? It adds lastX caching back in, should
22 reduce sys a _bit_, although personally I'm not expecting a helluva
23 lot out of it.
24
25 Part of the reason is that by it's nature, it only improves sequential
26 calls for the same keys. emerge does it on occasion, but I'm not
27 betting their would be a helluva lot of gain. repoman may benefit,
28 since it's code is horrid though.
29
30 Either way... locally, I'm getting pretty much no gain detectable in
31 the usual testing noise, so curious if anyone else can see anything
32 out of it.
33
34 If it has a usable affect, it's going to show on systems with piss
35 poor IO, and minimal kernel buffering.
36 ~harring

lastx.patch text/plain