From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Proposal: pre-emerge advisories
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:19:28
1 > Regardless of implementation, the main goals are:
2 > 1. Adding or modifying advisories is relatively easy. Doesn't require
3 > programming skills.
4 > 2. Adding an advisory in no way risks an ebuild file. An ebuild is
5 > executable code and no one has time to chase down syntax errors.
6 > Advisories are separate.
7 > 3. You don't need to be the package maintainer to do it (though at this
8 > point I'm not sure who would -- maybe a collaboration of forum
9 > moderators and package maintainers?).
10
11 Though it's been many moons, and major versions since my last set of major
12 issues with Gentoo upgrades, I would have to agree. I have a set of servers
13 that I am constantly upgrading to minimize the risk of a bunch of breaks in
14 order to only receive a few.
15
16 For instance, I have overlooked the currently implemented messages in the past
17 due to unattended upgrades. Some of the worse breaks I've had have, on
18 occasion, completely crippled a system. I have started building binary
19 packages as well in an attempt to revert if stuff fails, but sometimes even
20 that doesn't help.
21
22 Something to this order would be very beneficial. I have currently
23 established a system where I periodically check my scrollback buffer until I
24 find some emerge notes at the end of a package installation. From here I
25 copy and paste the notes into files that I so elloquently name
26 "emerge.<pkgname>.log". This is the easiest way I know to do it. I have
27 looked at the ebuilds before for package information, but this is only
28 helpful if I know that I've missed something, as I don't have time to go over
29 every package that gets installed or upgraded. Usually my process of
30 upgrades consists of simply determining if I need the package or not.
31
32 I have been trying to find something to this resolve, cause frankly, my system
33 sucks and I know it's probably not the best. For me it's the quickest, and I
34 was not able to think of anything else. This is why I believe you're on the
35 right track.
36
37 I hope this input helps.
38