From: Alexandru Elisei <alexandru.elisei@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [PROPOSAL] Don't split user visible messages across multiple lines
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 07:43:11
1 On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 12:32 AM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
2 > That could be pretty hard to do for all messages.
3 > Especially messages with embedded data
4 >
5 > eg: "%s is missing %s required use flag..." % ('sys-apps/foo', 'bar')
6
7 For that case we could use:
8
9 "%s is missing %s required use flag..." % \
10 % ('sys-apps/foo', 'bar')
11
12 > I know I don't always enforce the line length for a few characters,
13 > also when clarity is more important than line length.
14
15 I totally agree with that.
16
17 > We could also increase the max. line length to something like 120 or 130.
18
19 I think more people should chime in on that. I use vertical splits for
20 the screen when coding, and 120 characters is too long for me, but if
21 the preferred width ends up changing to 120 or 130 I can work with it.