From: Bart Lauwers <blauwers@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] coveted features
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:27:53
1 Pieter,
2
3 Imagine the expert system is 'screen' or interacts similarly to it, meaning
4 it can read all output from portage and it can send a command line back (i.e.
5 emulate a real user). This would basically put the system out of portage so
6 why make it a requirement? So that during development it can be accounted for
7 that some things will want unfiltered output and input. Maybe I'm not making
8 myself clear again so let me know if you still don't see what I mean now.
9
10 I would in no way expect portage to deliver the expert system but it should
11 IMHO provide the frame on which one could be built.
12
13 Bart
14
15 > > 8. have hooks for an expert system that can deal with compile errors
16 >
17 > This request is too abstract. This could become very interesting in
18 > combination with the freshmeat sync feature that was requested on -dev
19 > earlier. This is why I like looking at ebuild in a directory as a
20 > knowledge base (KB):
21 > there are learning techniques which can be used to , based on 'past'
22 > knowledge, provide about-data (dependency info, features, ...) for a
23 > newer version. The problem however is the howtodata (some patches might
24 > no longer apply, ...) it would be nice to have a reasoning system for
25 > that too, but I think this falls outside the scope of the current
26 > effort.
30 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list