From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The road ahead...
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 03:14:03
1 On Saturday 22 October 2005 10:08, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 12:14:40AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > On Friday 21 October 2005 19:06, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > > > Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 > > > > After thinking about it, incremental "feature creep" does seem like
6 > > > > the best way to go at this late stage in 2.0's life. The problem is
7 > > > > how to guage what is and what is not more trouble than worth. Perhaps
8 > > > > adhering to the kernel's rule of "Separate each logical change into
9 > > > > its own patch" would help to ease the possible impact of larger
10 > > > > changes?
11 > > >
12 > > > Probably the best solution.
13 > >
14 > > Brian, you agree on this? It'll mean splitting up the cache patch...
15 >
16 > Would be curious how it would be chunked up...
17 > patch of the new subsystem, patch of portage.py modifications?
18 >
19 > Depends on def. of logical changes I guess; in the case of the cache
20 > patch, it's kind of all or none with the changes.
21 > Suggestions/preferences?
22
23 Something like:
24 * Add base class(es) for new cache framework
25 * Add cache backend for XYZ database
26 * Switch portdbapi to the new framework
27 * Remove old framework
28
29 > > I'm not much for the ChangeLog at all really. At least not without going
30 > > over what makes a good commit message and setting up some guidelines. I'm
31 > > definitely for any ChangeLog being autogenerated though.
32 >
33 > No ChangeLog will piss off users; dev's already poke about it on each
34 > release.
35
36 Nothing at all will(/has) piss(ed) of users. I can't see people not being
37 happy with a concise set of major changes though. I don't mind much either
38 way.
39
40 > So... guideliness. ?
41
42 Should start a new thread about it later. I'd like to get this one finalized
43 first. :)
46 Jason Stubbs
47 --
48 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list