From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Adding sets to @world in custom profile?
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 14:17:50
1 Joakim Tjernlund posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:24:19 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > I have created my own set, @cusfpv3, and now I want to include this set
4 > in @world using my custom profile.
5 > How can I do that?
6 >
7 > I can add it in overlay/sets.conf:
8 > [CUSFPv3 sets]
9 > class = portage.sets.files.StaticFileSet
10 > multiset = true
11 > directory =
12 > %(PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT)s${repository:tmv3-target-overlay}/sets/
13 >
14 > [world]
15 > class = portage.sets.base.DummyPackageSet
16 > packages =  @cusfpv3 @profile @selected @system
17 >
18 > But then this set becomes active as soon as one add the overlay to a
19 > machine and I do not want that.
20
21 You don't need the set in sets.conf, only in the world_sets file,
22 /var/lib/portage/world_sets , with the set file itself then in
23 /etc/portage/sets .
24
25 FWIW, my world file (/var/lib/portage/world) is normally entirely empty.
26 Instead, I have everything that would normally be listed there, listed in
27 various sets in /etc/portage/sets/*. These are organized by functional
28 category.
29
30 So the world_sets file contains entries like:
31
32 @jed.admin
33 @jed.fonts
34 @jed.kde.kde-baseapps
35 @jed.media
36 ...
37
38 (JED are my initials. Here, they're used so I can distinguish on sight
39 my own sets from others, for instance the kde-baseapps sets found in the
40 kde overlay.)
41
42 Then for example the /etc/portage/sets/jed.fonts file:
43
44 media-fonts/dejavu
45 media-fonts/freefont
46 media-fonts/font-adobe-100dpi
47 media-fonts/font-bh-100dpi
48 media-fonts/font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi
49 media-fonts/font-bitstream-100dpi
50 media-fonts/font-ibm-type1
51
52 But I do occasionally use my world file as a sort of "package purgatory"
53 for packages I haven't decided for sure whether I want to keep or not,
54 but still want to protect them from depclean. If I decide to keep them,
55 they're moved to the appropriate sets file. If not, I simply delete the
56 entry in world and let depclean do its thing.
61 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman