From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Properties of package sets
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:09:45
1 On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 09:03:54PM -0700, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 05:07 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > - should sets be supported everywhere, or only in selected use cases?
4 > > (everywhere would include depstrings for example)
5 >
6 > Please NO. emerge.py should know about sets but ebuild.py should be
7 > oblivious to them. package sets as you are proposing imo should be
8 > limited to portage only. By putting package sets in ebuild depstrings we
9 > would be effectively forcing all other pkg managers to support the
10 > feature. I don't think we should do that.
11
12 Seconded on the 'no'; aside from it screwing up parsing, that's
13 *system* configuration- meaning it's not part of a repository data
14 set, thus the repository data set should in no way depend on it.
15
16 ~harring