From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] New proposed modular sync system
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:31:52
1 On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:13:56 +0100
2 Sebastian Luther <SebastianLuther@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Am 31.01.2014 06:27, schrieb Brian Dolbec:
5 >
6 > > I have updated the Proposal page [2] with more things to do as well
7 > > as some insights I discovered during the initial porting.
10 > > 6. Determine the method to be able to do concurrent repo syncs
11 >
12 > Take a look at the stuff in portage.util.{_async,_eventloop}. It's
13 > used in various places in emerge if you need an example.
16 Thanks, I will have a look
17
18 > > 18. Modify emerge-webrsync cli to use the new webrsync module
19 >
20 > I'd just remove emerge-webrsync and ask the user to use emerge --sync
21 > instead.
24 Some people are not able to use a normal rsync tree due to firewall
25 issues and bandwith restrictions.
28 > > Next up for discussion is what additional functionality should a
29 > > module supply?
30 > >
31 > > I think it should provide a list or dictionary of the repos.conf
32 > > variables it needs or uses. I also think that the module should
33 > > provide a function for validating the conf variables meet some
34 > > minimum standard/obvious error checking.
35 >
36 > Why should it provide that list at all, if it has a function to
37 > validate its input? The calling code should just check sync-type,
38 > select the appropriate module and pass everything to it.
42 I am thinking more about an emaint module for checking repos.conf
43 entries and help generation. The sync module would provide the
44 validation function and the info the emaint module would use to list
45 variable requirements. Yes, the plugin module should provide it's own
46 man page, but maybe it doesn't or the user just wants a quick list of
47 the variable requirements.
50 emaint --list --variables syncs
51
52 rsync: