From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 05:11:21
1 On Sunday 07 December 2003 10:11, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
2 > are we at the stage yet, where some structured metadata representation
3 > outside of the ebuild will be used ?
4 >
5 > incidentally the mailing list manager isn't honoring requests for
6 > archives/indexes... so, apologies in advance if this has already been
7 > discussed/decided.
10 It is more something like:
11 In the new format bash syntax will be banned from anything but the
12 unpack, ?configure?, compile, and install parts (Possibly post_/pre_ too) so
13 that we can use a simple egrep or other parse statements to extract all the
14 metadata from the file.
15
16 This is not about splitting up the file. It is about not needing bash to get
17 all the dependencies out of the file. That would be a major improvement. Also
18 in the area of extending the syntax in unforeseen ways in new versions.
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze
24 Gentoo Developer