From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] feature suggestions
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 10:23:48
1 On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:05:47 +0200
2 Hanno Fietz <hanno.fietz@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Here's a suggestion for two portage features that I would appreciate.
5 > Please tell me if this is the wrong list.
6 >
7 > I would like to have a system where ebuilds are classified such that
8 > when updating a package, I can tell whether this is a security patch
9 > or critical bugfix or new feature release or whatever. Thus, I could
10 > set up automatic updates that check only for critical patches and do
11 > not install every tiny new fancy thing.
12
13 Short version: needs modular dep resolver first (or some new fancy
14 type of visiblity filter), no chance otherwise. And even then I don't
15 think it's possible to note these things in ebuilds as the ebuild
16 doesn't know the upgrade path.
17
18 > Also, a system would be nice, where authors of a package or the ebuild
19 > maintainers could supply a message to the user along with the ebuild,
20 > for example to warn them of massive numbers of reverse dependencies
21 > that are going to be broken by the update (-> libexpat! I would have
22 > chosen a different time for the update if I had known what I had to
23 > update after that).
24
25 elog and/or glep 42.
26
27 Marius
32 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
33 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.