From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Signing off patches
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 02:32:43
1 On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 03:09:14AM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 20:15:57 -0800 W. Trevor King wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 02:33:06AM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
4 > > > On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:24:59 -0800 W. Trevor King wrote:
5 > > > > If it doesn't need to get updated, then it probably already
6 > > > > started out explaining the consensus ;).
7 > > >
8 > > > That is a guess, you can look this up in past patches.
9 > >
10 > > Sure. Will you? If I want to touch some code, and it looks
11 > > confusing, I'll use blame to see who wrote it and whay they were
12 > > thinking about. If the commit message is not informative, I usually
13 > > give up. I have a hard time imaging folks tracking down the thread
14 > > that spawned that patch, assuming such a thread even exists, for each
15 > > troublesome line they'd like to touch. It's much easier to summarize
16 > > any issues the list resolved (because they're likely the same
17 > > questions the new dev is asking) in the commit message, where future
18 > > developers can find them.
19 >
20 > How does this make the consensus written after the patch part of it?
21 >
22 > The person whom commits can be different than the person whom wrote the
23 > patch; and hence, that person commits without writing down consensus.
24 > If that person were to write it down, it would change the authorship.
25
26 If the initial submission does not express the consensus, you can
27 either ask for a resubmission that does, or say “Alice, is it ok if I
28 change your commit message to read ‘…’? when I commit it?”.
29
30 > Hence you made a guess, because I see pushed commits without
31 > consensus.
32
33 No policy/suggestion/goal is going to be followed 100% of the time.
34 If most commits, especially those that were contentious enough to go
35 through a few rounds of revision, have a commit message with a good
36 summary, then the future developer using blame has good odds of
37 finding something useful. I think that's a good goal to shoot for,
38 even if you don't hit it all the time.
39
40 Even if you only consider the present, improving your commit message
41 to address tricky implementation details or unclear motivation before
42 submitting the next revision on a patch series will help reviewers
43 understand your patch better in the first place.
44
45 > Here I like vapier's approach from the other reply in this sub
46 > thread, that is to add it whenever people make the effort of
47 > providing the tag; which is an approach the Linux kernel upstream
48 > takes as well, if you want to be seen as a contributor you need to
49 > provide the tags.
50
51 Sounds fair to me.
52