From: tvali <qtvali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] search functionality in emerge
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:01:54
1 Try esearch.
2
3 emerge esearch
4 esearch ...
5
6 2008/11/23 Emma Strubell <emma.strubell@×××××.com>
7
8 > Hi everyone. My name is Emma, and I am completely new to this list. I've
9 > been using Gentoo since 2004, including Portage of course, and before I say
10 > anything else I'd like to say thanks to everyone for such a kickass package
11 > management system!!
12 >
13 > Anyway, for my final project in my Data Structures & Algorithms class this
14 > semester, I would like to modify the search functionality in emerge.
15 > Something I've always noticed about 'emerge -s' or '-S' is that, in general,
16 > it takes a very long time to perform the searches. (Although, lately it does
17 > seem to be running faster, specifically on my laptop as opposed to my
18 > desktop. Strangely, though, it seems that when I do a simple 'emerge -av
19 > whatever' on my laptop it takes a very long time for emerge to find the
20 > package and/or determine the dependecies - whatever it's doing behind that
21 > spinner. I can definitely go into more detail about this if anyone's
22 > interested. It's really been puzzling me!) So, as my final project I've
23 > proposed to improve the time it takes to perform a search using emerge. My
24 > professor suggested that I look into implementing indexing.
25 >
26 > However, I've started looking at the code, and I must admit I'm pretty
27 > overwhelmed! I don't know where to start. I was wondering if anyone on here
28 > could give me a quick overview of how the search function currently works,
29 > an idea as to what could be modified or implemented in order to improve the
30 > running time of this code, or any tip really as to where I should start or
31 > what I should start looking at. I'd really appreciate any help or advice!!
32 >
33 > Thanks a lot, and keep on making my Debian-using professor jealous :]
34 > Emma
40 tvali
41
42 Kuskilt foorumist: http://www.cooltests.com - kui inglise keelt oskad.
43 Muide, üle 120 oled väga tark, üle 140 oled geenius, mingi 170 oled ju mingi
44 täica pea nagu prügikast...