From: Dominik Bathon <dbatml@×××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Regarding packages.provided
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:46:56
1 On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:19:50 +0200, Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
2
3 >> new_tool would then install the files in image to ${ROOT}, would add
4 >> those files to /var/db/pkg/bar/foo-1.0/CONTENTS, would fill the other
5 >> necessary files in /var/db/pkg/bar/foo-1.0/ with reasonable values
6 >> and maybe add bar/foo to world, so that it wouldn't be unmerged by
7 >> emerge depclean.
8 >>
9 >> This way the user could "inject" custom builds of packages into the
10 >> portage database. Portage could handle those packages as if they
11 >> were installed regularly. The user could even use this for
12 >> applications that are not in the portage tree, without having to
13 >> write an ebuild and putting it into his overlay.
14 >>
15 >> What do you think about that?
16 >
17 > Why don't you just write an ebuild in your PORTDIR_OVERLAY instead?
18 > Strikes me as the easier solution ...
19
20 Easier for you ;-)
21
22 Writing an ebuild is more work than just typing one extra command during a
23 manual install and still getting almost all the benefits of portage (for
24 example easy unmerging).
25
26 I realize that this approach would be a big hack and there would be some
27 problems:
28 -what about SLOTS
29 -what about USE-flags that this package would normaly use
30
31 and so on.
32
33 It was just a quick idea and I _think_ it would not be too hard to
34 implement...
35
36 Dominik
37 --