From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [RFC] Improving Gentoo package format
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:02:42
1 On 11/11/18 18:41, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 12:31 PM M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> Binpkgs are also a popular component of a few downstream distro's based on
4 >> Gentoo (thinking pentoo right now as an easy example).
5 >>
6 >> So we don't want to break existing users of this format without considering
7 >> the ramifications for these scenarios, as you'll have some very grumpy devs...
8 >>
9 > I'd argue that they'd be more important for Gentoo if they were more
10 > useful. IMO the main limitation with them is the inability to
11 > auto-download them from a repository, detecting the binpkg USE flags
12 > BEFORE downloading. This is why I suggested hashing the USE flags or
13 > similar and sticking that in the filename.
14 >
15 > Obviously you can't host a repository with all the USE combinations.
16 > However, you could have a reference repo and the package manager could
17 > check it before doing a build. If you get a hit then you can install
18 > the binpkg. If you don't then you can do a source build.
19 >
20 > Portage already checks the USE flags inside the binpkg before merging
21 > it and by default doesn't use a non-matching binpkg. The problem with
22 > the current approach is:
23 > 1. You have to download the package to check this (could be a big file).
24 > 2. You can't host multiple versions of a binpkg with different USE
25 > flags since the filenames collide.
26 >
27 > I suggested a content hash because you can use it for an arbitrary
28 > amount of metadata, vs having to cram arch/USE/multilib and I'm sure
29 > something I'm missing into a filename. Make the hash as short as is
30 > economical - it isn't like we have THAT many permutations, the PM can
31 > still check the internal metadata, and this isn't a security feature.
32 >
33 If you can really present a decent argument for replicating the
34 functionality of other distros like Debian, Arch, Ubuntu etc then let's
35 here it. For now, the strength of Gentoo is being able to fully customise a
36 system to your own requirements, not being trapped by some distro
37 maintainer's arbitrary choices. Play to your USP's and strengths rather
38 than chasing rainbows ..