From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] gentoolkit.git repository reorganized
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 04:46:02
1 On 21 Oct 2015 16:35, Paul Varner wrote:
2 > On 10/20/2015 03:34 AM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
3 > > On 15/10/15 19:42, Paul Varner wrote:
4 > > > Over the last couple of days, I have done the following:
5 > >
6 > > > 1. Migrated the gentoolkit-dev branch to its own gentoolkit-dev.git
7 > > > repository
8 > > > 2. Moved the gentoolkit branch to master on the
9 > > > gentoolkit.git repository
10 > > Why did you not just make gentoolkit master, and leave gentoolkit-dev as
11 > > a branch? That's certainly the common way of using git.
14 > Mainly, because at this point gentoolkit and gentoolkit-dev are now
15 > almost completely separate code bases as well as being separate packages.
16 >
17 > They share a common ancestry and that can be seen looking through the
18 > commit log, but starting with gentoolkit-0.2.5, gentoolkit started
19 > migrating to python as the only scripting language and utilizing the
20 > Portage API with setuptools as the build system. The two remaining bash
21 > scripts are being rewritten in python and when that is complete, they
22 > will be completely separate code bases.
23 >
24 > gentoolkit-dev has stayed as a collection of stand-alone scripts written
25 > in multiple languages intended mainly for Gentoo developers.
26 >
27 > Since they really do not share any code anymore, it did not make sense
28 > to me keeping gentoolkit-dev as a branch and it should be in its own
29 > repository.
30
31 echangelog is the only non-shell/python script, and arguably not useful
32 anymore. repoman itself has a changelog option, and since the move to
33 git, we don't commit ChangeLog entries anymore. i would just punt it.
34
35 there's also eviewcvs written in perl, but that's also dead now that
36 we use git, so it should be punted.
37
38 that really only leaves three:
39 - ebump - bash
40 - ekeyword - python
41 - imlate - python
42
43 why not merge them into a single repo ? you can have a dev/ subdir
44 for scripts that are more developer oriented and put them behind a
45 USE=dev flag.
46 -mike