From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Store [,R,P]DEPEND with unevaluated use conditionals in vdb
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 05:32:49
1 On 04/23/2010 05:43 AM, Sebastian Luther wrote:
2 > Someone might come up with some logic to detect new use flags in
3 > *DEPEND, but this looks like a hack to me.
4
5 It doesn't seem too bad to me.
6
7 > The clean solution is to
8 > store the unevaluated string.
9
10 Do you want to do this for $PKGDIR/Packages as well? We've always
11 evaluated USE conditionals in there since we were copying the
12 behavior of the older genpkgindex tool and that's how it behaved.
13
14 Also note that if we want to rely on having unevaluated strings then
15 we'll probably want to try to get alternative package managers to
16 behave the same way (maybe specify it in PMS).
17
18 > Question is: Does anyone have a good argument to not use the old
19 > behavior again?
20 >
21 > Sebastian
22 >
23 > [1] commit e6be6590e99522f9be69e2af8eff87919d9bf31f on 2010-02-14
24
25 I think we'll have to handle the evaluated strings anyway since this
26 code has already been released and stabilized in portage-2.1.8.x,
27 and USE conditionals have been evaluate in $PKGDIR/Packages for even
28 longer. Because of this, I see little or no benefit in changing it
29 back to unevaluated strings at this point.
30 --
31 Thanks,
32 Zac