From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 02:18:29
1 On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:06 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2
3 > Okay, new suggestion.
4 >
5 > Postpone the cache rewrite from above. Have only the minimal mods necessary to
6 > fix the PORT_LOGDIR/tee bug. Include the other two as is. That would be
7 > 2.0.54 as per the attached patch. Get that out soon and get trunk out masked
8 > at around the same time. As soon as 2.0.54 goes stable put trunk into ~arch.
9 > However, instead of ~arch meaning "regression fixes only" we could just limit
10 > it to "minor changes only" (ie. no big refactorings, rewrites or similar high
11 > risk changes) until it is time to stable it.
12
13 I think it would be wise to reconsider the cache fixes. I know you have
14 been away from irc for a while now and have missed the daily events,
15 but most of the people we have interacted with are expecting the cache
16 updates in .54 (alot of people complaining about the hanging at 50%)
17
18 The code has been pretty well tested and seems safe on the surface. I
19 think ferringb's testing has shown that the cache updates use about 14M
20 of ram where the existing code (as of .52.x) uses about 80M of ram.
24 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list